MDC Director Authors Book
Peg Faimon, a Miami University professor of graphic design, director of the Miami Design Collaborative, and co-director of the Armstrong Institute for Interactive Media Studies, authored the book to help people who are just getting started in the business.
“The audience for the book includes designers who are preparing for the transition into the working world, young professionals, and those who are trying to build a freelance business, or are starting their own firm,” Faimon said. “The book gives real-world advice from successful designers and has an interactive format.”
Readers of the book will learn how to:
- Research different career paths in design and organize a job search
- Craft an effective portfolio and master interview techniques to land the right job
- Maintain a professional image and network to ensure a consistent stream of paying projects
- Collaborate effectively with clients, other designers and experts in other professions
- Establish a freelance business, develop an in-house career or kick start a firm
- Stay fresh and move forward in the ever-changing world of graphic design
Faimon’s book is published by F+W Media’s HOW Design Books. Faimon maintains a design consultancy and has received national and international recognition for her design work, and was named the Naus Family Faculty Scholar in 2008. Faimon also is the author and designer of Design Allliance and the co-author, with John Weigand, of The Nature of Design, both published in 2003 by HOW Design Books.
The Designer’s Guide to Business and Careers can be found on Amazon.