Miami design team takes 10th in international competition
A student team from the Departments of Art and Architecture & Interior Design placed 10th in the Food for Thought International Idea competition 2009. More than 100 entries were submitted representing 26 different countries and 63 different cities.
The competition was sponsored by the 24/7 Sandwichshop and asked contestants to design an eating facility challenging people to think differently about food – how we get it and how we consume it.
Five Miami groups, led by faculty Samantha Perkins and Mary Ben Bonham, submitted entries. Members of the winning team, who developed a proposal for a restaurant chain, “Not Dogs,” include:
- Chris George, a junior graphic design major, interactive media studies minor from Rocky River;
- Corkum Steffel, a senior graphic design major, interactive media studies minor from Battle Creek, Mich.;
- Erica Sillin, a junior graphic design major, interactive media studies minor from Dayton;
- Rachael Baldwin, a junior graphic design major, interactive media studies minor from Perrysburg;
- Laura Wales, a senior architecture major, interactive media studies minor from Chester, N.J.; and
- Molly Miller, a junior interior design major from Overland Park, Kan.
The judges praised the design for its completeness, including packaging, name, presentation and brand.